Friday, October 8, 2010

Create your own end table

End table ideas, in this blog I will discuss some basic ideas for creating your own end table. First you need to decide on its location and its dimensions. Remember you don’t want it to be too tall nor too short. The one I created is about six inches shorter than the edge of the couch. The next thing to consider is materials I chose steel for mine so that’s primarily what I am going to discuss in the article. After choosing the material you need to decide your theme. In your theme you should include colors and also consider what you are going to make your table to out of.

Let’s talk a little about the table top. It is important that your table top be relatively smooth so that when people put things like drinks on to they do not tip over. If you want to do something with some more depth like a tile with a very un even surface you should consider using a piece of glass or thick acrylic to cover it.

In the table I created I decided to use tile as my table top and I uses plenty of grout to create a more level table top. Something you should also consider if you choose to use tile the size of the tile pieces themselves. I planned mine out so that I would not have to cut the tile at all and it would fit in the area I recessed for the table top. However if you don’t mind doing a little tile cutting this is not such a big deal rather just something to keep in mind.

After you have decided how and what you are going to make your table top out of its time to make the frame. In the one I created I used one inch square tubing and created a small shelf underneath to keep things like pillows and blankets. I used plywood to create the backing for the table top and then tiled and grouted over the top of it.

After creating the frame I pained it using a textured spray paint. If I had it to do over again I would have done this step after finishing the tile and grout. I found that the grout sealer I used also acts like paint stripper so the little over spray that I go on the paint had to be cleaned off and repainted; something to keep in mind if you want to seal your tile table top like I did.

As a side note if you are just getting started using Google SketchUp a 3D modeling program that I discuss in an earlier blog. This would be a good starting project to use as practice; even though a simple sketch would probably do just as well. If you have any questions please email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment