Friday, October 8, 2010

Using Google SketchUp

Google SketchUp’s is a 3D modeling program that can be used to create something from a simple table to complex cities building by building. Google SketchUp’s basic program can be downloaded from http://sketchup.googl.com/ for free. SketchUp can be a valuable tool especially if you are trying to make something with complex angles or you are not sure if parts are going to fit together. There are other more powerful programs out there that do a better job than Sketch up like AutoDesk’s Inventor program but these programs can cost thousands of dollars and require a lot of practice to become proficient. However Sketchup will do most anything the average do it yourselfer will want to do in a 3D environment. Google also offers a very good set of free tutorial videos. Within a few hours of downloading and watching some tutorials I believe you will find it easy to use as well as very helpful in creating your project before you build it. As you will see below I have included pictures of a 3D nautical star that I crated using Google SketchUp. I have also included a simple plan that my brother created to raise his dorm room bed off the ground to give himself room for a couch underneath . By using SketchUp I was able to simply measure the angles at various points on the star rather than trying to figure them out on paper and doing a lot of math. SketchUp allowed me to create the shape with basic measurements then pull my dimensions from my sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment